Album of the Moment

It seems like every time I turn around lately I fall for another pretty face holding a guitar playing mind-bendingly awesome music. Just to prove that I'm capable of falling for something different I give you a pretty face not holding a guitar!


Well, at least not always holding a guitar.



Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. That counts for something doesn't it? But I digress; that, my friends, is the lovely April Smith! A woman with moxie, a real firecracker if there ever was one! Every time I listen to her sing I imagine her saying things like "what's it to ya doll" and "allow me to introduce my sidemen". In fact it's all too easy to pretend she stepped right of a speakeasy in 1928, kicked it with a few rockers in the late 50's, chilled with Tom Waits and Led Zeppelin in the 70's  and then magically ended up in modern day Brooklyn where she met up with her fantabulous (yes I make up words) band, The Great Picture show... And they all lived happily ever after. No seriously just listen to them play and you'll know exactly what I mean, it's uncanny!

Their debut album "Songs for a Sinking Ship" has been slowly picking up steam, this may be the first time you're reading about it but I promise you it won't be the last. Rolling Stone, The Chicago Tribune and Metromix are all raving about her sass and ragtime sound. And I get the feeling that they're just the first of a tidal wave of adoration that's not far behind. I'll leave you with a few of my favorite tracks, hopefully you'll enjoy them as much as I do.

Until next time,
Matt





Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones





Update: HA! I was totally right, I can see that tidal wave just over the horizon now. Her song "Terrible Things" is featured in the teaser just released for season six of Weeds. Check it!


0 comments: